1) First of all select what species and which style you want to make bonsai of. It is very important to decide Bonsai style first, because you will need to buy bonsai pot according to your bonsai style.
2) Prepare your bonsai soil mixture referring details bellow or you can also buy the same from online store.
3) Get your healthy plant from garden or wherever you have decided to get one from. Make sure your plant size should not be too big for selected container size.
4) Place a plastic net on containers drain holes so that your soil mixture will not make their way out from drain holes. Then fill bonsai container 60% with soil mixture.
5) Now clean the plant and its roots with sprayer and placed the plant inside container on soil which we have settled in last step and then pour rest of soil on the top of roots.
6) Now fill the complete container with water so that soil and roots gets adjust in container. Then place the container tilted for couple of hours to drain excess water.
Bonsai styles :
1) Forest style
2) Cascade style
3) Formal upright style
4) Informal upright style
5) Slant style
6) Root over rock style
Containers can be found in any shape like circle, oval, rectangle or square. Generally bonsai containers are made of clay or carved wood, you can use any according to your choice or availability.
It is very important to choose right container for particular style of bonsai. The bonsai trunk length & thickness of bonsai tree is depends on the shape and the size of the container.
Soil Mixture for Bonsai:
Standard mixture of bonsai soil consists of many different soils, the soil particles should be 1/8 to 1/16 mm diameter in size. It should not too small or not too big to maintain moisture, dryness and Aeration in soil.
Akadama, River rock, Lava rock, Fragmented Granite, Plant Bark, etc these materials are includes in Bonsai Soil mix, You can also buy readymade soil mix online for your Bonsai.
Common Species to use for bonsai plantation :
3) Japanese Maple
4) Dwarf Pomegranate
9) Achrus Sapota
10) Carrisa carrandus
11) Psidium Guava
12) Ficus Elastica
13) Nyctanthus arborticus
14) Punica granatum