About this Project:
In this project we will learn how to interfacing ESP8266 module with MAX7219 matrix display to scrolling text message from web user interface. We will use Arduino IDE to program ESP module in this project. I am using MajicDesigns MD_MAX72xx library for running this project, also the code is very similar to included example in the library with some improvements in web user interface html code.
- MAX7219 8×8 LED Matrix
- ESP8266 Node MCU
- USB Cable for programming and power
- Connect the circuit as shown above.
- Install Arduino IDE form arduino website. After that install ESP8266 board and library in Arduino IDE.
- Download and install MD_MAX7219 Library from download section for driving MAX7219 matrix. For using this library you will need to edit MAX72xx.h file for configure the type of LED matrix you are using. In this project we are using FC-16 Chinese module.
- Download code ino file from download section and open it with Arduino IDE.
- You will need to edit WiFi network SSID and Password inside your code before flashing it in ESP module.
12const char* ssid = "your SSID"; // edit your wifi SSID hereconst char* password = "your Password"; // edit your wifi password here
- Select board to NodeMCU and flash the code in ESP module.
- Power up the circuit and you will see IP address of your ESP module allocated by your WiFi network on Matrix display. (watch video)
- Now open that IP address in any browser connected in same network. And you will see web user interface to enter text.
- For detailed procedure of configuring WiFi module with your home network and using web interface, please watch embedded YouTube video linked at the bottom of this page.
How to solve mirror image and orientation problems of matrix display if you are using old MD_MAX72xx library.